Monday, August 11, 2008

Hiking in Gaviota

We attempted to hike up to the Wind Caves in Gaviota State Park on Sunday. I took both boys and the dog by myself on a 1000 ft elevation, 3 mile hike. Not sure exactly what made me think that would be a good idea. Nick has been really into hiking lately and so when I mentioned going on a hike he was all over it. I put Aidan in the backpack and let Maggie go off the leash as there wasn't really very many people out. Nick needed no assistance on this trail at all. I was dying by about half way up and was just dripping with sweat and the whole time Nick was saying Come on Mom! He just kept going and going. Some of the terrain was really difficult too. I was really impressed with how good of a climber he was. The poor dog just about died though. When we got to the top of the first hill the dog found a bush and just laid down and decided he wasn't going anymore. I gave her a whole bottle of water but she was done. So I decided we better give up and go back down. Nick was so upset because he said we were almost to the caves and he can make it and we could just leave the dog right there. After a drink and snack he calmed down and we were able to hike back down. Of course once we got back we had to check out the train tracks and bridge. So I promised Nick we would go back on another day with Daddy and without the dog so he can make it all the way to the windcaves.





Nick at the top of the Mountain. If you notice the bridge in the background that is where we started our hike from.


Nick extremely upset that we couldn't get all the way to the windcaves.



Aidan trying to climb like his big brother.

Poor Maggie couldn't make it any further.

Nick and his train bridge.

No comments: