Saturday, August 21, 2010

WW2 Honor Flight






Tonight we went to welcome home the World War 2 veterans who went on an honor flight today from Alabama. An Honor Flight is a free trip for the veteran that allows them to fly to Washington DC and see the World War 2 Memorial and other historic sites in DC and then fly back home to a Heroes Welcome. It was an amazingly powerful experience and I am so glad I was able to take the boys. There were over 200 active duty troops on hand to welcome them home and you could see the honor in their eyes when the vets would salute them as they passed. There was also a huge patriotic band and color guard waiting to greet them as well as all kinds of media. There were over 500 people just random civilians from the community holding up signs and waving flags and yelling out Welcome home and thank you for your service. It was very overwhelming for the vets at times as many of them were crying. Nick loved shaking the vets hands and I really felt so proud to be an American everytime I said thank you to them as they passed. Despite Aidan having a huge hunger and overtired meltdown it truly was a night I will never forget. I hope my kids won't forget it either.

2 comments:

Hank and Laura said...

My 92 year old grandfather just went on the honor flight out of Dothan. I wish I could have been there to see him return! How neat that you went out to welcome these veterans home. It was good to see you this afternoon!

Jeanne said...

What a wonderful event for you and the boys to see. I am glad you were able to share this with them.